In the baffling world of Chinese firm Dingoo Digital (or is that Dingoo Technologies? Does anyone care anymore?) nothing is black and white. It seems that both mobs are quite happy firing accusations at one another for breach of copyright and theft of source code at the moment (If you want to trawl the long and confusing drama that is “Who is the real Dingoo team?” then you could start here but I wouldn’t advise it).
What is certain (or as close as you’re going to get) is that the company behind the manufacture of the Dingoo A320 was Gemei, a reputable Chinese electronics company.
18 or so months after the Dingoo A320 landed, and after a lot of leaked photographs, wild speculation, a fake successor and a whole load of hullabaloo over at the dingoonity forums, it finally seems that the real successor is about to land – and this time it comes with some official pics.
Over at the dingoonity forums, one of the staff members from Chinavasion posted to say that they would be taking stock of the new machine “soon”.
Details are scarce, but if rumours are to be believed here is what we can expect:
- The machine won’t be backwards compatible with the Dingoo A320. This means that unlike the Dingoo, this one probably won’t be packing a CPU from Ingenic. The Ingenic chip in the Dingoo is based on the MIPS architecture, so what are the other options? Perhaps a Chinachip 1600 or 1800, the latter of which is a cheap and fairly powerful media processor powered by ARM.
- Use of the 1800 processor will probably offer a marginal boost in the emulation department, but unlike the A320 will allow playback of 720p H264 video files.
- A 2.8 or 3.2 inch 320×240 LCD.
- Release date to be September or early October 2010.
- Chinavasion will be one of the first to stock it.
And that’s all there is. No specification or price tag as yet – I’ll make a post here as soon as more details emerge!
To finish, here are some pics of this thing that leaked up to ~12 months ago. Surprisingly it doesn’t look like much has changed since then.
1 thought on “A Dingoo Successor Emerges… The Gemei A330”
awesome stuff! couldnt wait till this thing is out